Simplest Pasta Sauce
- crushed tomato can
- clove of garlic
- half a yellow onion
- green or Italian pepper
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1c italian sausage (this is not required but adds so much flavor)
- italian herbs of choice (rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- In a food processor combine carrot pepper onion and garlic. Transfer that mixture to a large pot or dutch oven. Feel free to add a bit of water.
- Turn on the heat and begin to cook. Once the vegetables start sizzling add your sausage or meat of choice. you don’t need to cook the meat fully but you do want to make sure that it is browned to help create a deeper flavor.
- Add one can of crushed tomatoes and half a can or a full can of water ( depending on how watery you like your sauce ). mix this and add all seasonings including salt and pepper. Pour in your pesto and mix well. Turn the heat of the sauce down to low and let cook. If you plan to let your sauce cook all day it might be a good idea to cover the pot and not lose too much liquid. If your sauce is cooking for a short amount of time and you want to cook off the liquid, leave it uncovered.
- Serve with your favorite pasta