Rabbit RaguCourse: Italian Kitchen, Meat Recipes, Other
2tbsp Olive oil
1 Rabbit jointed
2tbsp Plain flour
200g Smoked bacon lardons
2 Shallots (banana), finely chopped
1 Carrot, finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp Juniper berries, crushed
3 Bay leaves, scrunched
2 Rosemary sprigs, leaves chopped
200ml Red wine
1 Chicken stockpot
800g Chopped tomatoes (2tins)
200g Cooked chestnuts, chopped
½ Orange zest
small bunch of parsley, chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan on medium heat. Season the rabbit and toss in the flour. Add to the hot oil and brown on all sides. Then transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil and lardons and cook for 5mins until crispy. Add the shallot and carrot, stir for 10 mins, until the veg has softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Next, stir in the cinnamon, juniper, bay leaves and rosemary. After 1 min, pour in the wine and crumble the stockpot. Simmer for 5 mins, add the tomatoes and return the rabbit to the pan. Put the lid on, lower heat and simmer gently for 2 hrs, occasionally stirring.
- Remove the rabbit, stir the sauce, then cover again. Continue simmering while you shred the meat. Add the meat back to the pan, along with half the chestnuts. Cook, uncovered, for 20mins until reduced to a thick sauce. Add the remaining chestnuts. Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
- Stir the milk, orange zest and parsley into the sauce. When the pasta is cooked, add to the sauce and mix. Divide between the bowls and sprinkle with parmesan.