Pasta alla Norma Recipe
Sicilian pasta with aubergine.
- 200g Penne (short pasta is recommended)
- 30g Ricotta Salata (Salted ricotta cheese)
- 200g Aubergine
- 2 Cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 200g canned Tomatoes
- 10g Basil leaves
- Extra-virgin Olive oil
- Vegetable or good olive oil (for frying aubergine)
- Cut the aubergine into cubes or strips or slices, your choice. Fried them in hot oil until they are nicely browned. (Make sure that the oil is really hot, otherwise, the aubergine will absorb too much oil and become soggy.)
- Prepare the marinara sauce. Add olive oil in a pan and sweat the garlic. Then add the canned tomatoes, basil leaves and salt, let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil and two-thirds of the fried aubergine to the sauce, let it simmer for another minute. The rest of the aubergine is reserved for garnish.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.
- Transfer the pasta to the sauce and cook for one minute. Then add the grated ricotta salata to the pasta. Mix well and add some pasta water if it is too dry.
- Before serving, add the remaining aubergine, grated ricotta cheese and small basil leaves on the pasta for garnish. Enjoy!
I followed it exactly as written and it turned out perfectly.