Potato MasalaCourse: Indian Kitchen, Snacks
1 tsp ground cumin
⅛ tsp turmeric powder
chilli powder to taste
1 tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp nigella seeds (black onion seeds)
1 tsp lime juice
- Start by peeling your potatoes and chopping them into medium pieces, all roughly the same size.
- Put your potatoes in a pot of cold salted water, and bring to a boil, and boil for about 12 minutes.
- Whilst this is happening, prepare your spice mix. In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of water, with the ground cumin, turmeric and chilli powder. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes fall off the fork when picked up, drain them and leave in a colander to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, heat a tablespoon of oil on medium heat, and once hot, add your black mustard seeds and fry until they start popping.
- Add your potatoes back in, and give them a good stir to coat the potatoes in the oil. Don’t worry if they get a bit roughed up, this is the best bit.
- Once the potatoes are coated in the oil, stir through the spice mix that you made earlier, as well as adding salt to taste.
- Keep on medium heat stirring regularly for about 4-5 minutes until you can really smell the spices.
- When you’re about to serve, stir through the nigella seeds, lime juice and fresh coriander.
- Serve in a bowl, topped with a few extra nigella seeds and enjoy.