Pancetta, prawn and cod chowderCourse: Seafood Recipes, Soup Recipes
1tbsp Olive Oil
1 Small onion, diced
100g Pancetta, diced
1 Large / 2 medium Maris Piper Potatoes, cut into cubes
750ml Chicken Stock (you can use fish stock but I prefer chicken)
1 Bay leaf
Pinch of Mace
250ml Whole milk
250g Sweetcorn – tinned/frozen/fresh
250g fresh cod / white fish of choice
125 fresh/frozen king prawns
Splash of double cream
Tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Add the oil to a hot pan set over a medium / high heat. Add the onion and sauté until slightly softened. Add the pancetta, reserving a quarter, and the potatoes.
- Cook until the pancetta is crisp and the potatoes start to soften.
- Pour over the stock and drop in the bay leaf.
- Simmer, covered, until the potatoes are fully cooked (dropping off a knife).
- Remove half of the potato, pancetta and onion with a slotted spoon and set aside. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add the soup along with the milk to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile, add the fish, prawns and corn to the pan over a medium heat. Pour over the soup, and add the reserved potato mixture. Add the pinch of mace.
- Simmer, covered, until fish is cooked – the white fish should be opaque, flaky and moist. Do not boil!
- Add cream, salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chives and the remaining crispy pancetta.