Minestrone soup is a classic Italian soup made with various vegetables, beans, pasta, and a tomato-based broth. Because it contains a variety of vegetables, including onion, garlic, celery, carrots, zucchini, and green beans, the soup is often regarded as a hearty and nutritious dish. The beans in the soup, such as kidney and cannellini beans, are high in protein and fiber, and the pasta adds a hearty element to the dish.Minestrone soup's specific ingredients and preparation vary, but it typically includes a mix of vegetables and herbs cooked in a tomato-based broth until tender and flavorful. For added flavor, some recipes call for the addition of meat, such as bacon or pancetta, while others keep the soup vegetarian.Overall, Minestrone soup is a hearty and flavorful soup that can be served as a main course or as a side dish. It can be served hot or cold and is a popular choice for those looking for a nutritious and filling meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 1/2 cup small pasta (such as macaroni or shells)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Cook the celery, carrots, zucchini, and green beans in the pot for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables soften.
- Combine the diced tomatoes and juice, vegetable broth, kidney beans, cannellini beans, dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the pot and continue to cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Seasoning should be tasted and adjusted as needed.
- Serve hot, with grated Parmesan cheese on top if desired.