Baghali Ghatogh is a popular Iranian dish that is made with fava beans, dill, garlic, and eggs. It is a vegetarian and gluten-free dish that is not only healthy but also delicious. Baghali Ghatogh is a perfect comfort food that can be enjoyed on a cold winter night or any other day when you crave something warm and comforting.
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen fava beans
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of fresh dill, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of water
- Start by heating the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they are golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and turmeric to the saucepan and sauté for another minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the fava beans to the saucepan and sauté for a few minutes until they are lightly browned.
- Add the chopped dill, salt, and pepper to the saucepan and sauté for another minute.
- Add the water to the saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes or until the fava beans are tender and the liquid is reduced by half.
- Crack the eggs into the saucepan, cover it with a lid, and let them cook for 5-7 minutes or until they are cooked to your liking.
- Serve the Baghali Ghatogh hot with some freshly baked bread or steamed rice.
How to prepare:
- Rinse the fava beans and soak them in water overnight. If you are using frozen fava beans, you can skip this step.
- Finely chop the onion, mince the garlic, and chop the dill.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them lightly.