Tiramisu Cinnamon Rolls are a decadent and indulgent take on a traditional breakfast treat. This recipe marries the rich flavors of tiramisu, such as espresso and mascarpone cheese, with the warm and comforting flavors of cinnamon rolls to create a truly unique and delicious dessert.
- ½ cup buttermilk – warmed
- ¼ cup espresso
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar – divided
- 1 (7g) packet active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter – softened and cubed
- ½ cup unsalted butter – melted (plus 2 Tbsp for brushing)
- 5 Tbsp Kahlua – divided
- 16 oz mascarpone – softened and divided
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ½ cups cream
- For serving: Cocoa powder
- In a bowl, combine espresso with buttermilk and 1 tablespoon sugar. Add in yeast and let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add flour, 4 ½ tablespoons of sugar, salt and gently mix. Add in butter, one cube at a time. Then knead the dough for about 10 minutes. Cover and let rise for 2 hours in a warm area. Once risen, roll out on a flour-dusted surface to about a 14×14 square.
- In a bowl, combine melted butter and Kahlua and brush over the dough. Using half of the mascarpone, add dollops on the dough. Then top with cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Roll up the dough and use a knife or string to cut 1-inch rounds. Grease an oven-safe pan or skillet and place rounds into the pan. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush rolls with remaining butter and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- As the cinnamon rolls bake, use an electric mixer to whisk together the remaining mascarpone, Kahlua, powdered sugar and cream until smooth and thick.
- Top finished cinnamon rolls with frosting and dust lightly with cocoa powder.