Thai cashew chickenCourse: Meat Recipes
- For the chicken:
200 grams chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon cassava flour or all-purpose flour
⅓ cup natural taste cooking oil (I used sunflower oil for frying)
- For the vegetable ingredients:
1 tablespoon garlic, crushed (I used about 4 cloves)
½ cup yellow onions, sliced into wedges (I used 1 small onion)
⅓ cup dry Thai birds eye red chilies, deep fried
½ cup raw cashew nuts
⅓ cup fresh long red chili peppers, thinly julienned
⅓ cup fresh banana chili peppers, cut into thin strips
⅓ cup spring onions, cut 2.5 cm pieces
- For the seasoning sauce:
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
½ tbsp. dark soy sauce (I used sweet dark soy sauce)
½ tbsp. oyster sauce
¼ tsp. ground white pepper
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
3 tbsp. stock or water
- Mix up all the seasoning sauce ingredients in a bowl and put it away.
- Add about ⅓ cup of oil to a wok or frying pan, and wait until it heats up.
- Fry the raw cashew nuts for about 1 minute in the hot oil until golden brown, then drain and set aside.
- In the same oil, fry the Thai dry chilies for about 1 minute until crispy, drain, and set aside.
- Dice the chicken, and mix with flour, to evenly coat it. Then again, fry in the oil for about 5 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain and set aside on a plate.
- Make sure you have all your garlic, onions, and fresh chilies, cut and ready.
- Add ½ tbsp. of oil to a wok or frying pan on medium-high heat. Stir fry the garlic for a few seconds, then add the onions and stir fry until translucent. Then add the red and green chilies and stir fry for a minute or so. You can sprinkle a few drops of water in the wok if it gets dry.
- Add the seasoning sauce mixture, and stir fry until the sauce thickens and becomes sticky.
- Add the chicken, cashew nuts, and dry chilies, and stir fry until everything is coated in the sticky sauce. You can add a few sprinkles of water if it gets too dry.
- The last step is to add the green onions, stir fry for only a few seconds, then turn off the heat.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.