If you're looking for a delicious and healthy Indian dish to try, you've got to try sweet potato paratha! It's a savory and slightly sweet flatbread filled with a spiced sweet potato filling that's sure to satisfy your taste buds. It's perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and can be served with a side of yogurt or chutney.Plus, it's vegetarian and vegan-friendly, so it's a great option for anyone looking for a meatless meal. Don't let the thought of making your own flatbread scare you away, this recipe is easier than you think and totally worth the effort!
For the dough:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur (dried mango powder)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Gradually add enough water to make a smooth and pliable dough. Knead for 5-10 minutes, then cover and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed sweet potato, salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, garam masala, amchur, and chopped coriander.
- Divide the dough into equal-sized balls and roll out each ball into a circle.
- Place a spoonful of the sweet potato mixture in the center of each circle.
- Gather the edges of the circle together and pinch them closed to encase the filling.
- Roll out each stuffed ball into a flat disc, about 6-7 inches in diameter.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, place a paratha on the griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining parathas.
- Serve hot with your favorite chutney or yogurt.
- Be sure to boil the sweet potatoes until they are soft and mashable.
- Don’t overstuff the parathas, or they may break open during cooking.
- Use a non-stick pan or griddle for best results.
- To save time, you can prepare the dough and filling in advance and store them in the refrigerator until ready to use.