A hearty and delicious slow cooker ground venison soup is ideal for a cold winter day. Venison is a lean and healthy meat that is full of flavor and complements the vegetables and spices in this soup perfectly. This recipe is made easier and more convenient by using a slow cooker, which allows you to prepare the ingredients in the morning and come home to a warm and comforting meal in the evening.
- 1 lb of ground venison (or beef, chicken or turkey)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced (or baby carrots, chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 28oz diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 cups beef broth, unsalted
- 1 tsp salt, pepper & Italian seasoning
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray. Cover and turn on low.
- Microwave potatoes for 2 minutes on each side. Once cooled, peel and dice – add to slow cooker.
- Cook ground meat in sauté pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil until meat is browned all over. Add to slow cooker.
- Dice onion and carrots. In sauté pan, over medium heat, sauté onion and carrots and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until onion becomes translucent. Add in minced garlic. Cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Add in diced tomatoes, with juice from a can, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Add in 2 cups of beef broth. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve & top with fresh parmesan!