Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Caramelized Apples Recipe
Carrot and sweet potato soup with caramelized apples is a comforting and delicious soup that's perfect for fall or winter. This hearty soup is made with simple and wholesome ingredients, including carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, and vegetable broth, and it's topped with sweet and crispy caramelized apples.The sweetness of the apples perfectly balances the earthy flavors of the soup, making this dish a satisfying and flavorful meal that's also healthy and low in calories. It's a perfect choice for a light lunch or dinner, and it's also great as a starter for a dinner party. This soup is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free, making it suitable for a variety of dietary needs.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the sweet potatoes and carrots to the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add the thyme and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Using a blender, puree the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- While the soup is cooling, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and brown sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the sliced apples to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are caramelized.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the caramelized apples.
- Use fresh ingredients: Using fresh vegetables and herbs will give your soup the best flavor.
- Don’t skimp on the seasoning: Be sure to season your soup with plenty of salt and pepper to bring out the flavors of the vegetables.
- Use a blender: Pureeing the soup in a blender will give it a smooth and creamy texture.
- Let it cool: Letting the soup cool slightly before blending will prevent hot liquid from splashing out of the blender and causing burns.
- Caramelize the apples: Cooking the apples in butter and brown sugar will bring out their natural sweetness and add a delicious crunch to the soup.
I recently tried the Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Caramelized Apples recipe and it was absolutely delicious! The combination of flavors was perfect – the sweetness of the apples complemented the earthy flavors of the carrots and sweet potatoes really well. The soup was also very easy to make and didn’t require too many ingredients. I loved how creamy and smooth the texture was, too. I’ll definitely be making this recipe again in the future!