Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup (Vegan & Gluten Free)Course: Soup Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes
500g sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
500g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
1 red onion, cut into chunks
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 sprigs of thyme
500ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
1 tsp mild curry powder
Pinch of cinnamon
2 garlic cloves, bruised
1cm cube garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper
Dash of olive oil
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes until sweating.
- Add the remaining vegetables and seasoning to the pan and cook through for a minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and the sprigs of thyme to the pan, reduce to low heat to simmer and cook for approx 30 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- Blend the contents of the pan either in a blender or with a handheld blender until smooth.
- Empty the contents back into the pan and serve with a garnish of reduced fat creme fraiche (omit for a less calories and vegan soup), toasted butternut squash seeds, freshly ground black pepper, chilli flakes and an extra sprinkle of thyme leaves.