Vegan Persian Lentil, Courgette And Aubergine StewCourse: Vegetarian Recipes
1 aubergine, diced
2 large courgettes, chopped finely
1 onion, diced
125g red lentils
1 pack cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dill
salt and pepper, to taste
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tsp harissia spice
juice of half a lemon, other half cut into wedges
1 chilli, to top (optional)
1 tbsp garlic paste
½ carton passata
- Soak your lentils in some cold water whilst you wash and chop your tomatoes, courgettes, aubergine and onion.
- Heat oil in a large pot to medium, add your aubergine with some salt. Fry for a few mins and then reduce and cover to allow it to sweat for 10 mins.
- Once the aubergine has softened, raise the heat again, adding your garlic, courgette, tomatoes and drained lentils. Then add your passata and water and bring to boil.
- Add all your herbs and spices, reduce heat to low and cover with lid to simmer for 20 mins.
- Once the lentils have thickened, turn the heat off and mix in your lemon/lime juice and zest. Let sit for 10 mins then serve equally with a wedge of lemon, topped with some oregano and some crusty bread (optional). Enjoy!