Zucchini lasagne is a delicious variation of the classic Italian lasagne and is perfect if you’re looking for a healthier, lower-carb option. Instead of traditional pasta, we use thinly sliced zucchini.
First, fry the ground beef or turkey, add onions and garlic for flavor, and then sauté it in a rich marinara sauce. Add a creamy mixture of ricotta cheese, eggs and Parmesan. Layer these ingredients with the mozzarella cheese and you will have a rich, cheesy and aromatic dish.
It’s simple to make and when it comes out of the oven all bubbly and golden, you’ll know you’ve got a delicious dish. Plus, it’s a healthier alternative that doesn’t sacrifice flavor. Try it and I promise you won’t miss the pasta. Enjoy your zucchini lasagne!
- 4 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 (450g) pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C), making sure it is hot to ensure even baking.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef or turkey until browned. Drain off excess fat.
- Add the chopped onion and chopped garlic to the pan with the cooked meat. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the marinara sauce and cook for about 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, dried oregano and dried basil. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, egg and grated Parmesan. Mix well.
- To prepare the lasagne, spread a small amount of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Layer the zucchini slices on top of the sauce. Spread a layer of the ricotta mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up, finishing with a layer of meat sauce on top.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Let the zucchini lasagne cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.