Tuscan Bean & Vegetable SoupCourse: Italian Kitchen, Soup Recipes
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium-large onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
3 medium yellow or white potatoes, cut into cubes
2 large carrots, chopped
1 cup loosely packed sundried tomatoes, in oil
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp Italian seasoning
~8 grinds fresh black pepper, or to taste
1 cup crushed or smooth tomatoes (low sodium if available)
4.5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp sugar
1 cup milk (or unsweetened non-dairy milk if vegan)
540ml can white cannellini beans (low sodium if available)
1/2 bunch kale, thick part of stems removed, roughly chopped (about 3 packed cups)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat while prepping the veggies.
- Add the garlic and onion. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot, potato, salt, pepper and Italian herbs. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes/sauce, vegetable stock, milk, sugar and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are easily pierced with a fork, stirring regularly.
- Add the kale and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before scooping into bowls and serving.