The Crispiest Roast Chicken with PotatoesCourse: Chicken Recipes, Main Food Recipes
- For chicken:
1 whole chicken
Aleppo peppers (optional)
- For potatoes:
1-2 pounds potatoes (cut in large wedges, with skin)
- Butterfly the chicken (google it… it will reduce your cooking time!). Place the chicken in the fridge for 1-2 hours to dry out (if you can’t that’s ok too). Remove from fridge and dry the chicken of any excess liquid or moisture.
- Set oven rack to middle position and preheat to 450°F.
- Place the chicken (breast side down) on a large baking sheet or roasting pan. Sprinkle liberally with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic pepper and Aleppo peppers (if using).
- Turn the chicken over (breast side up) and sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic pepper and Aleppo peppers (if using). Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the potato wedges with a generous amount of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Place potatoes around the chicken.
- Place prepared chicken and potatoes in the oven.
- Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 400°F and bake for a further 40 minutes. This is very important!!! That initial high heat is going to get that skin crispy!
- Before removing from oven, the chicken breast should read 163-165°F and thigh and leg should read at 173-175°F. Potatoes should be cooked through.
- Let chicken rest for 5-10 minutes, sprinkle with parsley, cut into pieces and serve!
- I don’t know what I was thinking but I used dried rosemary. Don’t use it! It’s dry, twiggy and pointless.