Courgette LasagneCourse: Main Food Recipes
500g of mince
1 and a half cans of chopped tomatoes
5 tablespoons of tomato purée
grated cheddar and mozzarella
few leaves of fresh basil
flour and butter (around 2-3 tablespoons each)
- In a pan, sauté one onion on med-high heat with olive oil for 5 mins.
- Add 500g of mince, and season with salt, ground pepper, garlic, and soya sauce.
- Mix well throughout and heat on medium heat until browned, or around 20 mins.
- Add 1 and a half cans of chopped tomatoes and 5 tablespoons of tomato purée.
- After about 10 mins add a dash of red wine to bring out the flavours, and keep covered on medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, wash 5-6 courgettes and slice each in half. Then cut vertically to resemble lasagne sheets.
- On a nonstick pan, on a medium-high, heat each courgette slice for 1 minute on each side so that it releases as much water as possible. This will make the lasagne less watery as courgettes are high water-based. As heating, place on a plate on a sheet of kitchen paper.
- In an oven dish, start by placing a row of courgette slices, then a row of mince, row of white sauce, row of courgette slices, a row of mince, and at the end place courgette slices, topped with grated cheddar and mozzarella and a few leaves of fresh basil.
- For the white sauce, I just bought a ready made one to save some time. However, my lasagne guru @jessicakelly2 has given us a tip on how to make it from scratch – in a pot place equal quantities of (gluten free if desired) flour and butter (around 2-3 tablespoons each), and mix on low/medium heat so it forms almost a dough. Gradually add stock and milk until it starts to form a sauce consistency. Then add cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Pop into the oven for 15-20 minutes and enjoy.