The Best Butter ChickenCourse: Chicken Recipes, Main Food Recipes
5 tbsp of vegetable oil (divided)
2 large red onion
2 inch fresh ginger (chopped or grated)
6-8 garlic cloves (chopped or grated)
- (For spice mix)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground Fenugreek
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/3 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
400gms/140oz can chopped tomatoes
5 tbsp full fat yoghurt
750gms/1 1/2 pounds of chicken (boneless)
2 tbsp tandoori masala
1 tsp sugar
1/3 cup butter
- Dice the chicken and rub it with the tandoori masala. Set aside. Put 3 tbsp of oil in a large shallow pan. Set over medium heat. When hot, add the onions, garlic and ginger & fry for 10-12 mins or until the onions are soft and starting to turn brown.
- Turn the heat down, add the spice mix, tomato paste and the tinned chopped tomatoes & the full-fat Greek yogurt. Stir well and cook for 5 mins. Blend the mixture with a hand blender until smooth.
- In a separate non-stick frying pan, set on medium-high heat fry the chicken for 7 mins or until it starts to get golden brown. It does not need to cook through.
- Add the chicken to the blended sauce. Return to low heat and simmer for about 20-22 mins.
- Add some hot water to adjust the consistency according to your liking.
- Add sugar and butter.
- Mix thoroughly to create a thick and creamy sauce.
- Make the spice mix before you start cooking
Use full fat Greek yogurt so the sauce doesn’t split while cooking)