Sausage RagùCourse: Italian Kitchen, Pasta Recipes
6 x pork sausages
4 x rashers streaky bacon
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 x cloves of garlic
1 x Onion
1 x Carrot
1 x Stick of celery
1 x sprig of rosemary
2 x Bay leaves
1 tbsp of tomato puree
1 x sprig of thyme
1 x splash of red wine vinegar
1/4 of a bottle of red wine
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- PREP – Pre heat oven to 150°C. Take the skin off of the sausages and break apart into small chunks and set aside on a plate. Chop the bacon, onion, garlic, celery and carrot as finely as you can.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan to a medium heat and add the sausage meat, bacon and chopped rosemary and cook until its starting to brown and set aside on a plate. Make sure to scrape any meaty bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat of the pan to low and add the chopped onion, celery, carrot, garlic, thyme & bay. Cook for about 10 minutes until the veg is somewhat translucent and add the sausage meat/bacon back to the pan.
- Add the tomato puree and cook out for a couple of minutes. Then add a good splash of red wine vinegar and cook it until the acrid smell goes away. Then add the wine and cook until all the alcohol has evaporated. Finally add the tin of tomatoes. Give the water a slosh around in the tin of tomatoes and add that too. Season to taste.
- Place in the middle shelf of the oven and cook for at least 5 hours, stirring occasionally to ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom. Taste and season accordingly.
- I served mine with Spaghetti and some freshly grated parmesan.