PuttanescaCourse: Italian Kitchen, Pasta Recipes
300g pasta (spaghetti or linguine works best)
100g capers (drained)
300g pitted black olives (drained)
1 onion (finely chopped)
400g tin chopped tomatoes (or passata)
3 cloves garlic (finely sliced)
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 splash white wine
4-5 anchovy fillets (finely sliced)
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (more or less depending on taste)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and fry for 8-10 minutes. If it begins to brown too quickly, turn the heat down. Everything in this recipe should be cooked gently (other than the pasta).
- Once the onion has softened, add the garlic and anchovy. Fry this for a further minute until the anchovy has melted. Don’t let the garlic brown.
- Add the olives, capers and chilli flakes and fry for a further 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Turn the heat up and pour in the wine and vinegar. Once the wine has reduced, turn the heat back down.
- Pour over the chopped tomatoes and stir. Season with sea salt and black pepper and turn the heat down to a simmer. Allow this to gently cook for around 10 minutes.
- Cook your pasta as per the packet instructions.
- When cooked, drain your pasta, saving a little of the pasta water and add the pasta and the drop of water to the tomatoes, mixing well.
- Serve with lots of the chopped parsley.