These vegetable curry pasties are ideal for vegetarians looking for an alternative to traditional meat-filled pasties. They're also great for meal planning because they can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer for a quick and easy meal.
- 450g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 125g unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 125ml cold water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and finely cubed
- 2 large carrots, finely cubed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 3oz frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- Place flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and egg yolks into the food processor and blitz until mixture forms crumbs. Slowly add water until a ball of pastry appears. Wrap pastry in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- For the filling, boil potatoes and carrots in salted water for 10-12 minutes, until tender, drain, set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add onion, turmeric, garam masala, mustard seeds, salt and black pepper. Fry until onions are soft and translucent and spices are aromatic.
- Stir in garlic, chilli, curry leaves, potato and carrot. Cook for a further ten minutes, then stir in peas. Cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through. Season with lemon juice, stir in coriander leaves and set aside to cool.
- Roll out pastry to 3mm. Using tea plate as a template, cut out 8 discs of pastry.
- Brush around the edge with beaten egg, and fill about half-full with filling, fold the pastry over vegetables and seal firmly to form a D-shaped pasty. Brush with beaten egg, and make a steam hole in the center with a sharp knife.
- Repeat to make the other pasties. Put in the oven and cook for 25 mins until they are crispy and golden and the filling is cooked through.