Thanksgiving TurkeyCourse: American Kitchen, Chicken Recipes, Main Food Recipes
1-2 white onions, cut in half
2 cups chicken or turkey broth
garlic heads, cut in half
2 lemons or 2 oranges (we used oranges) cut in half. Save one for zest.
4 Tbs room temp. unsalted butter
- Grab a food-grade bucket or cooler. Mix some warm water with 1 cup salt so the brine dissolves. Place the turkey into your bucket. Pour over your brine and fill the rest with a gallon of cold water. Fully submerge your turkey. Keep refrigerated overnight.
- Take out, dry your bird well and let sit to reach room temperature. About 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stuff your turkey with rosemary, sage and thyme first, so they don’t burn! Then add your onion, orange or lemon and garlic.
- Zest your lemon or orange with room temperature butter. Mix and rub the paste all over your turkey. Lightly salt and pepper the bird. Tie the legs and pin the wings so it cooks evenly.
- Place celery in your roasting pan and place the turkey on top. Pour in chicken or turkey broth.
- Cover with foil and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another hour and 15 minutes while basting periodically for a 12lb turkey. Add 15 minutes for each additional pound.
- Take out and let rest for 30 minutes.