Knafeh CheesecakeCourse: Arabic Kitchen, Dessert Recipes
4 blocks cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup full-fat sour cream, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 can ashta
1 box shredded phyllo (kataifi)
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tsp orange blossom water, divided
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Orange food coloring (optional)
Simple syrup (attar) (recipe in guides)
Pistachios for garnish
- With the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until creamy, add in eggs 1 at a time followed by the sour cream. Add sugar and beat until smooth, add vanilla and lemon juice and continue mixing until combined.
- Grease and line a 10” springform pan with parchment paper. Pour in the cheesecake batter. Wrap the base and sides with foil. Place a pan filled with water on the bottom rack of your oven and preheat to 350F. Place the cheesecake on a baking sheet and bake on the middle rack for 60-65 minutes. The center will still have a little jiggle. Turn off the oven and open the door. Let the cheesecake cool in the oven for 1 hour. Remove and let stand for another hour and then transfer to the freezer to cool and set for at least 2 hours.
- In a food processor, blend kataifi until finely chopped. Transfer into a large bowl setting aside 1.5 cups. In the larger bowl, add 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 tsp orange blossom water and orange food coloring and mix until combined. Grease a 10” baking pan and press kataifi into the pan. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Once done, set aside to cool.
- Add 1/4 cup melted butter to the remaining kataifi and brown in a pan. Set aside for the topping.
- While the kataifi is baking, mix ricotta, ashta and 1 tsp orange blossom water together.
- Turn the baked kataifi onto a plate and drizzle simple syrup. Remove the cheesecake from the freezer and peel off the parchment. Turn the baked kataifi over the bottom of the cheesecake and flip back onto a cake platter. Spread ashta cream and top with browned kataifi and pistachios. Drizzle on attar & enjoy!