Chana palak masala or Chickpea spinach curryCourse: Chicken Recipes, Indian Kitchen
1 red onion (finely chopped)
2 tsp ginger garlic paste (or fresh ginger and garlic minced)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can chickpeas
100ml vegetable broth
150g fresh spinach (it’s up to your likening; can be more as well)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tbsp turmeric
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp chili flakes
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
a splash of lemon juice
fresh coriander to garnish
- Finely chop the onion, ginger and garlic.
- Heat sunflower oil in a pan and sauté onion until golden.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and cook for about 1 minute (rawness should be gone).
- Add in the coriander powder, turmeric, cumin, chili flakes and stir everything for about 2 minutes (don’t let it get burnt).
- Add in the diced tomatoes, chickpeas and vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add in the salt, sugar and spinach and let it simmer for another 5 minutes (until spinach “collapsed”).
- Finally, add the gar am masala, give it a stir. Sprinkle the fresh coriander on top.
- Best served with rice, naan or roti.