Vegan PhoCourse: Vegetarian Recipes, Vietnamese Kitchen
1 white onion, peeled and halved
3 inch piece of ginger, halved
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 cardamom pods
5 star anise
1-2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
6-8 cups of vegetable broth
6-8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
Long, thin rice noodles
bok choy, other veggies or tofu to add in (I used snow peas, green onions, and spinach)
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut and peel the onion, then cut the ginger in half and broil it in the oven at about 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, until slightly charred. Set aside for later.
- Add the spices to a large stockpot and heat it for 3-5 minutes, till it’s very fragrant. Then add the vegetable stock, onion, and ginger. Bring it to a simmer, then cover and let it simmer for 30 min- an hour.
- Once it’s done simmering, remove and discard the spices, onion and ginger. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and salt and pepper to your liking.
- Sauté the mushrooms for 5-10 minutes to enhance its flavor, and add it to the broth and let it simmer in it for another 10 minutes to thoroughly cook through. Add the rest of your chosen veggies and allow them to be cooked through.
- Quickly cook your rice noodles on the side, then ladle in your broth and veggies, add any extra toppings of choice and enjoy!