Spicy Korean Rice Cake (Ddukbokki) Recipe
- 250g cylinder rice cakes (20-22 pcs)
- 400ml anchovy stock or water
- ddukbokki sauce
- 1/4 white onion (optional)
- 1 sheet fish cake
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1-2 green onion
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp fine (or coarse) gochugaru
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups water
- 6 dried anchovies
- dried kelp, palm-sized piece
- bottom half of green onion (optional)
- If using refrigerated or frozen rice cakes: separate each piece and soak in water for 20-30 min.
- Anchovy stock, if using: combine everything in a pot, bring to a boil, reduce and let simmer (soft rolling boil) for 20 minutes.
- Make ddukbokki sauce, set it aside.
- Slice up the onion and cut the fishcake sheet into triangular shapes or whatever shape you want.
- Add 400ml anchovy stock or water to a shallow pot along with ddukbokki sauce, and mix until fully dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil before adding the rice cakes.
- Bring back to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 8-10 minutes, and keep stirring.
- Add sliced onions and fishcake, stir until evenly coated and cook for another 5 minutes, stir stir stir.
- Give it one last stir before sprinkling toasted sesame seeds and topping it with green onion.
I would not recommend this recipe.