Sourdough Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce and Whipped Cream Recipe
This dessert is a perfect way to use leftover sourdough bread and create something mouth-watering. The tangy flavor of sourdough bread is complemented by the sweet and silky caramel sauce and topped with fluffy whipped cream. This dessert is simple to make and perfect for any occasion.
- 1 pound of day-old sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of raisins
For Caramel Sauce:
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
- Add the cubed sourdough bread and raisins to the mixing bowl and stir gently to combine.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the liquid.
- Pour the bread pudding mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the center is set.
- While the bread pudding is baking, make the caramel sauce by combining the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking the mixture until it turns a deep amber color, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the heavy cream and butter. Be careful, as the mixture will bubble up.
- Whisk the caramel sauce until it is smooth and set aside.
- Make the whipped cream by whipping the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Serve the bread pudding warm with a drizzle of caramel sauce and a dollop of whipped cream on top.