Rhubarb and vanilla ice creamCourse: Dessert Recipes, Snacks
- Ice cream mix:
5-6 egg yolks (100 grams)
150 grams raw cane sugar
1 vanilla bean
250 ml double cream
2 tbsp honey or coconut syrup
400 ml of full-fat milk
- Rhubarb purée:
2-3 stems of rhubarb (425 grams) depending on size, cut into pieces.
3 tbsp water
50 ml caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar to taste, optional
- Whip yolks and sugar together until smooth and a bit fluffy.
- Cut the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds, put the seeds including the beanstalk into a pan with the cream, honey and milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once it starts to boil remove it from the heat and strain it into another pot/container.
- Pour the strained mixture into the whipped yolk and sugar little by little while constantly stirring gently. Leave to cool until room temperature and then put in the fridge to mature overnight or at least 4 hours.
- In a pan cook your rhubarb, sugar and water on medium heat for 9-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth with an immersion blender. For a more sweet purée add your vanilla sugar. Let cool.
- Before putting the mix into your machine, blend it for a few seconds with your immersion blender.
- Once ready, put both, the mix and purée into your ice cream machine and churn for an hour, or follow instructions on your machine.
- Serve and enjoy.