This delectable dessert, which combines a crisp, airy meringue with a burst of vibrant red fruits, is the definition of summer. You’ll want more after every bite because of the delightful texture and flavor contrasts that are offered. This dessert will wow your guests whether you’re hosting a family reunion, going on a picnic, or just treating yourself.
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the filling:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the meringue:
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 2 cups mixed red fruits (strawberries, raspberries, cherries, etc.)
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
Preparing the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Press the mixture evenly into a 9-inch pie dish, covering the bottom and sides.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and let it cool.
Making the filling:
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk while whisking continuously.
- Stir in the freshly squeezed lemon juice until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust, spreading it evenly.
Creating the meringue:
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat.
- Increase the speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Finally, mix in the vanilla extract.
How to prepare and assemble the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Spread the meringue mixture over the lemon filling, making decorative peaks.
- Bake the pie for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the meringue turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack.