Huevos VeracruzanosCourse: Mexican Kitchen, Snacks
- THE BEANS:
400g drained black beans
1 level tsp vegetable stock or 1/2 cube
100ml hot water
1 white onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp oil
Salt and pepper
Ground coriander and ground cumin.
- THE EGGS:
Whites of a spring onion (leave the greens to garnish)
- TO ROLL + TOP:
3 corn tortillas
Greens of the spring onions
Sprouts/ chopped coriander/ micro herbs
(Ancho) chilli oil
Pico de Gallo/ any other salsa.
- To a medium saucepan, add the oil and leave on medium heat. Meanwhile, cube the white onion, and crush the garlic cloves with the side of a knife, peeling away the skins.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sautee on medium-low heat.
- After 3-5 mins, add the black beans, as well as the vegetable stock and water.
- Cover with a lid for a couple more minutes, then set aside to cool slightly and blend with the dried herbs until you have a smooth bean paste. Season to taste.
- Finely slice your spring onion, adding the whites to a small frying pan with some oil on medium-low heat.
- Whip 2 eggs and add to the pan, stirring often until cooked as you like. I leave mine pretty uncooked, as they continue to cook when you roll the eggs into the tortillas
- Add 1 big tbsp of the scrambled egg in a line down the center of a tortilla, then roll like a parcel, laying with the edge flat to the plate so the egg doesn’t fall out.
- Repeat with all 3 tortillas, then top with your beans, salsa, avocado and the rest of your toppings of choice.
- Reserve the rest of the beans as a soup, or use to make this throughout the week.